The Lemon, Pear and Ginger Upside Down Cake
PREP TIME: 55 minutes
SERVES: up to 6-8 serves
This delicious and naturally sweet lemon and pear cake looks impressive and tastes great too for a warming winter or early spring treat. it uses our honey and ginger syrup as a self saucing surprise when the cake is turned out of the tin.
See the ingredients for vegan options and omitting the ginger and honey syrup for maple syrup.
Lemon, Honey & Ginger Syrup ingredients:
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 60 g butter or vegan spread/coconut oil
- 1 cup(220 g) firmly packed coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon Lifestream Honey and Ginger Syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 3 ripe pears (fresh boiled then cooled or canned pears can be used.)
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 6 tsp Lifestream Honey and Ginger syrup ( for vegan option using maple syrup)
- 3 eggs or egg substitute ( alternatively 1/4 cup apple sauce per egg)
- 2 1/2 cups (375 g) plain flour or GF flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup(125 ml) milk, rice or almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons Greek or coconut yoghurt
Preheat oven to 220°C
Making the lemon, honey & ginger syrup
Place ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer over medium heat 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Then let cool.
Prepare the cake tin
Either use a non-stick cake tin and spray it with oil, or grease and line with grease proof paper for approx 24 cm round cake tin.
Peel and core pears; cut each into eight wedges. Arrange pears in a decorative pattern on base of cake pan and pour syrup over pears (use canned pears if out of season).
Making the cake
Beat rice malt, olive oil, lemon rind, honey and ginger syrup or maple syrup for vegan option with the eggs (or egg substitute) in a large bowl until combined. Gently add combined sifted flour and baking powder, then milk. Carefully pour batter over the pears.
Bake cake 10 minutes at 220°C then reduce heat to 180°C; bake a further 55 minutes (45 mins on fan bake) or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake completely in the pan before carefully turning out onto a platter and serve topped with yoghurt. Dusting with extra cinnamon with a dash of warmness.
A warming wellness treat for those cooler evenings and longer winter days.